So, you’re engaged, and are now faced with the extremely exciting and insurmountable task of planning your wedding! Before the flowers can be ordered, the food sampled and the wedding day outfits tailored …you need to find the perfect venue. Whether you opt for a beautiful property to DIY your day or a venue with everything you need at your fingertips, there are so many options available and you have to pick one! Eeek!
Your first step is to determine what you want and need in a venue. Once you have established this you will (hopefully) be able to narrow down your list of potential venues (if not – good luck to you.) Your next step is to visit and tour some of these places. In “Take A Tour: Why You Should Tour A Wedding Venue” for The Reception Issue, the team at Zonzo Estate breaks down exactly why it’s so important to take a look at your potential wedding venue before you book it.
We always recommend couples take a tour of the venue and come armed with some questions, here’s why:
- It is worth noting that you should book your wedding tour in advance. Most popular venues can book out with appointments well in advance. Particularly during peak times. So this may involve some organization on your behalf, otherwise be prepared to wait.
- Photos can only tell you so much!
- Endlessly scrolling through Instagram and TikTok is a great way to get inspiration for your big day, but it can only tell you so much. To truly understand what a venue can offer, you need to explore it.
- A site visit will allow you to see the venue for what it really is. From the entrance to the ceremony options (do you love both the indoor and outdoor options equally – because you cannot rely on the weather), right down to if there is enough parking for your guests on the day? It is all the little details that can make or break your decision.
Choosing the place you want to get married is a very personal decision. As a venue, the last thing we want is for a couple to be disappointed after booking because they didn’t take the time to see it beforehand. Everyone should be familiar with the spaces and what is on offer to them. If you loved the venue online, a visit is only going to confirm this love or tell you to keep looking.
See Your Day Coming Together
We always suggest you take a venue tour with your partner (we know it is not always easy to coordinate if you have differing schedules) however touring a venue with your future spouse will help you picture the day coming together, and give you a feeling if it is right for you, based on who you are as a couple.
Being onsite at your potential venue allows you many luxuries;
- Explore the potential photo locations – are these varied enough for your photographer to capture who you are as a couple? Are there locations to have photos undercover in case of inclement weather?
- Get a feel for how the whole day is going to run, from the moment you arrive to when you say farewell at the end of the night. Where will your guests be entertained while you steal off for photos? Being armed with all of this information and knowing how it will run is only going to put you at ease on the day so you can let loose and enjoy yourself.
- If your potential venue has a restaurant – sample the menu before you decide to book. Not only will you try the food, it will also give you a chance to soak up the atmosphere and determine if the space is right for you.
- Let your imagination run wild with styling options! Knowing what the spaces look like will assist you in organising your other suppliers.
- Lastly, you get to meet the people that you will be trusted to bring the whole day together. You need to know you will be in good hands and get to work with fun, friendly, passionate people who will perform tirelessly to ensure your day is perfect. Meeting the team makes the whole experience more personal.
Exploring a venue is going to get you excited about the whole planning process and get the ball rolling, once the venue is locked in all the fun begins! Just like knowing your partner is the one you want to marry, you will know if a venue is right for you the moment you walk through the door.
About Zonzo Estate: A space as unique as you — a picturesque Yarra Valley backdrop, an award-winning venue, and beautiful Italian food and wine. A mix of contemporary and down-to-earth spaces, with acreage to luxuriate in.