I find myself obsessing about weddings on a regular basis in spite of the fact I’ve been happily married for more than 20 years. I spend hours day-dreaming about how I would ‘do it’ now compared to the version I experienced as a twenty-something girl. Right now, my obsession is fixated on the Great Gatsby. Baz Luhrman’s film, set in 1922, is having an enormous impact on fashion and wedding style – such unadulterated glamour is decadent but not difficult to achieve.
Our collaboration with Life Instyle, Melbourne (1-4 August) has enabled us to take a sneak peek at the breathtaking vintage inspired pieces about to be launched in Australia which will no doubt influence wedding style worldwide. This event is set to showcase the latest in vintage glamour- and likely to be larger than the Gatsby itself!
- Set the scene early on and ensure your invitations, rsvp reply cards, bridal registry information etc., communicate the theme with an elegant letter press art deco design on thick, creamy, high quality paper. My go-to for couture stationery is Bespoke Letterpress who are showcasing their range at Life Instyle whose printing presses date back to 1893.
Images via Bespoke Letterpress
- Old-world charm: Imagine a room with a sweeping stone staircase and a carved vaulted ceiling, filled with perfectly round translucent balloons, fairy lights, flowers and guests who are dressed in black tie and jewel coloured cocktail dresses. I’m describing a scene straight from the film; it is breathtakingly beautiful and it would make the most perfect wedding.
- Look for a historic location which has the glamour and scale of a Gatsby mansion – many prominent public buildings such as town halls, theatres and banks were built during the period and are available for weddings and special events.
- Floral delight: Fill the room with audacious combinations of white Hydrangeas, Lilac and orchids mixed with pale pink, fragrant David Austin roses.
- Inviting Deco detail: For an authentic Deco touch dress the tables with crisp white damask linen and monogrammed napkins encircled by a mother of pearl napkin ring. Raid the markets Antique shops for vintage silver cutlery, blush pink and crystal candle holders of varying sizes and mirrored platters – and lots of flowers in a combination of large and small delicate 1920s vases.
- Bubbles: A champagne tower and a chandelier or three are obligatory.
Hit list for the all-important details:
- Invitations: Bespoke Letterpress – 07 3054 0372,
- Vintage cutlery, glassware, linen: Camberwell Sunday Markets , 03 9882 2969 OR Tyabb Packing House Antiques: 03 5977 4245
- Flowers: Flowermee in Brighton can not only do the flowers but also hire a myriad of vintage containers and props. , 03 9592 1480
- Round translucent white balloons: Occasion By Design
Ms Gingham says: This high glamour, luxury art deco style is so sumptuous!! Love these tips!
Jacqui Moore and Julia Green from Greenhouse Interiors have teamed up with Life Instyle, Melbourne to bring some of the Great Gatsby to life via Style Lab at the Royal Exhibition Building (1-4 August).