Donating Your Dress

by | Bride, Fashion

COMMENTS

I’ve been searching since I started Polka Dot Bride for a place brides can donate their wedding dress after the wedding (for other ideas on what to do with your wedding gown after the wedding view my After The Wedding post).

Sadly in Australia we haven’t had access to great charities like the Brides Against Breast Cancer organisation in the USA, however a few weeks ago a new option appeared.

The Salvation Army stores (otherwise known as Salvos Stores) have set up a bridal department in their Victorian Abbotsford store which is located at 81 Victoria Crescent Abbotsford, VIC 3067 or available by phone (03) 9419 7410

If you’re looking to donate or sell your gown, or perhaps wanting a cheaper, second hand option for yourself, a number of websites will sell your gowns for you.

I Do Gowns buys and sells a range of wedding attire including bridesmaids frocks. They’ll also list your wedding gown for as long as it takes to sell.

Your Wedding Wardrobe buys and sells second hand wedding gowns. Including some couture. Your dress can be listed for as long as it takes to sell.

Other websites will buy & sell classifieds include Wedding Central, Bride Online, Easy Weddings and Smart Bride

If you’re aware of any other charities or foundations that sell or allow brides to donate second hand wedding gowns, please leave a comment!

COMMENTS
  • Jaime says:
    May 26, 2009 at 3:49 pm

Oh yes, we drove past the Salvos a couple of weeks back and the window display of gowns totally caught my attention! 🙂 Most of the sites I know have already been listed so I’m afraid I’m not of much help.

• Erica says:
    May 26, 2009 at 5:21 pm

Hi,

I am an avid reader of your blog, currently living in Cape Town, South Africa (lived in Sydney for many years). One of the coolest things they have here is that designers make dresses for hire. Basically, they make a dress perfect to suit you…and then at the end of the day you give it back to them and they hire them out to other brides or use them in their showroom.

I think its fabulous…I am hiring an (already used) gown. The designer is altering it to suit me and replacing the boning so it fits perfectly. It is half the price of getting one made for keeps and is just as beautiful.

• bobbie-sue says:
    May 27, 2009 at 8:58 am

In Toronto, Ontario, Canada we have The Brides Project http://www.thebridesproject.com/, which donates all proceeds to cancer charities. They are wonderfully fun and picking my dress was a blast. I will definitely donate my dress when I’m done with it.

• Jacob and Claudine says:
    May 28, 2009 at 1:29 pm

Hi Ms Polka Dot!

Thanks indeed for the link to our site, I Do Gowns. We get a real kick out of helping new brides find a beautiful dress at a fraction of the retail price. It’s also rewarding to hear from our advertisers that they’ve sold their dress – they love giving joy to another bride, and the extra money certainly comes in handy!

Thanks again, and best wishes with your site.

• Sarah says:
    May 29, 2009 at 4:22 am

There are a few other websites I know of! oncewed.com and weddingbee.com and preownedweddingdresses.com

• Kita Sally says:
    June 3, 2009 at 12:33 pm

Hi, not sure if you have heard of a new site where you can buy and sell bridal dresses – some are new at rock bottom prices, some are preloved – fabulous value -the items don’t seem to last for long – go and have a peep.

• designer fabric says:
    June 16, 2009 at 11:53 pm

I would never part with my wedding dress, whatever the circumstance may be.

• Emma says:
    August 1, 2011 at 8:06 pm

Another Australian site you can sell your dress on that I’ve come across is http://wornonlyonce.melbourne.weddingcircle.com.au/

• Toni says:
    September 12, 2012 at 11:51 am

You can also sell your dress or bridal accessories on: http://www.weddingsforyou.com.au/en/your-diary/marketplace

• Lynette says:
    April 24, 2014 at 4:27 pm

You can donate to Angel Gowns Australia – this group is run by volunteers who deconstruct donated wedding gowns & make them into gowns for angels – babies who have been born sleeping & premie babies.

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/angelgownsaustralia

• sambal bu rudy says:
    March 15, 2015 at 4:32 pm

This site was… how do I say it? Relevant!!
    Finally I have found something that helped me. Thank you!

• wedding videographer says:
    May 19, 2016 at 11:24 pm

i know some like weddingbee.com my friend has donated her gown there.

• Tahnee says:
    May 15, 2017 at 4:10 pm

Thank you, your information will be helpful
    my partner and I separated before our wedding day and Unfortunately I have the reminder hanging in my closet and can’t look at it anymore.
    Some people have told me to burn it but I believe that’s a little extreme lol
    I would much prefer someone to get enjoyment out of the beautiful dress, and it be apart of someone’s special day 🙂

• Joanne Harvey says:
    August 16, 2020 at 10:03 am

Does anyone know of a charity or place in New Zealand that I can donate my wedding dress too?
    I am in the divorce process and my dress I wore 26years ago is in perfect condition, and I would love to be able to donate it.
    Can anyone help?

• Helen says:
    August 22, 2020 at 3:39 pm

Can anyone pls tell me where I can donate some lovely mother of the bride outfits in excellent condition

• Ms Fleur De Lys says:
      August 24, 2020 at 11:16 am

I like op-shops like red cross, rspca, mecwacare.

Depending on the style or whether they can be work as separates, you could also try organisations like Ready Set, Wear For Success or Fitted for Work who help disadvantaged women get into the workforce.

An alternative is to sell your outfits on Facebook marketplace, gumtree or ebay and donate the money to your favourite cause.

MAKE A COMMENT

Trackback from your own site.