We’re welcoming another new Melbourne writer who recently attended The Benefit Brow Bar in Melbourne. Today she shares a little behind the Benefit brow experience and top tips for brides to be!
They say taming your brows is one of the most important things you can do for your face. I’ve watched and read enough tutorials to try and master decent looking brows on my own- trying so many products, shades and techniques to get areas filled in and stray hairs gone, but nothing shocked me as much as the difference I saw when I had the Benefit Brow Bar experience!
I recently visited the brand new Benefit counter at Melbourne’s Chadstone shopping centre for a brow experience by Benefit Brow Pro Jessica Bok and I have never felt so pulled together (or grown up!)
Let’s start with the Benefit counter- it’s the newest of the Benefit stores and outfitted with the gorgeous boudoir style feeling that I adore about Benefit. Plaster ceiling sconces hang from the ceiling, pink counters are lined with benefit goodies and carved bookcases hold special displays. The counter even has a pretty room, which although not opening until next year- offers a one stop beauty shop with spray tanning, false lash application and even face and body waxing.
After Jessica asked me a bunch of pre treatment questions (like whether I was using retinols, antibiotics etc all which can cause skin to react to waxing) and given a post wax care pamphlet, I was led to one of the white chairs at the counter, complete with handbag hook (of course they’ve thought of everything!). Labelled compartments hold all the brow expert’s essentials and on a shelf, the brow products. A diamante encrusted mirror is provided- for you of course. Jessica and I talked about my brows- what I liked and didn’t like and how I currently work with them.
Jessica kicked off our hour of fun with taking three measures of my face (though I should note a normal Benefit brow wax only takes 15 minutes, we just spent the rest of the time playing with makeup). Each measurement determined how aligned my brows were and what we needed to work on. Luckily for me, mine were pretty good on this score card! As my brows are rather fair, Jessica went ahead with a light tint, not before explaining to me the colour she would be using (and showing it to me) matched to the darker shades of my hair.
The tint showed up all the little hairs that were disappearing into my face- so next up? The wax! Each Benefit brow appointment has the wax heat tested before it’s applied to your skin (so they’re never going to accidentally burn you). The wax hurts- but it’s quick and over before you know it. Jessica did one side of my face at a time allowing me to see a difference. To combat the redness, and ensure my pores didn’t clog up and break out (so not a good pre wedding look for brides to be) Jessica applied setting powder (Benefit Hello Flawless Pressed Powder).
Then Jessica advised of the best brow product for me- the product that has blown everyone away (and secretly made me happy as I had been dying to try it) Benefit Gimme Brow. This product is almost like a mascara- except it has the tiniest wand and acts as colour and stay power for your brows, picking up the tiniest of hairs. Benefit also offers other brow products – Brow Zings, Speed Brow, Instant Brow Pencil and their Brows A Go Go Kit.
After the hard part was done, Jessica gave me a bucket load of makeup secrets for myself- ones like using Benefit High Brow – Brow Lifting Pencil in a line under my brown and blending helps define my brows as well as giving a fab little glow. The Benefit mantra is – Pre, Prime, Perfect so kicking off with Benefit B.Right Skincare ‘It’s Potent’ Eye Cream and then the Benefit POREfessional (love this as a primer, it feels amazing) and Benefit Fakeup Concealer. We had the prep and prime started!
Then we played – I’m sure Jessica thought me a little crazy but I was going to soak up every piece of her makeup knowledge while I could! Jessica used Benefit Watt’s Up! Soft Focus Highlighter, Benefit Rockateur Blush, Benefit Hoola bronzing powder, Benefit They’re Real! Mascara on me and maybe it was the chandeliers, the floral wallpaper or the fact Jessica felt like an old friend- but I fell in love with each and every product (even after Jessica made me apply it my own so I’d know how to do it! (I am still terrible at bronzer, let it be said).
There are a few reasons I loved this experience and have hence raved about it:
- The knowledge and training of the Benefit staff at the counter I visited was incredible and I felt like I was in the hands of someone who knew exactly what they are doing
- I was a little nervous about having something rather personal done on a beauty hall floor, but the Benefit counter works so that you feel like you’re shut off from the world and not on show
- I love how clean everything was- I didn’t feel like anything was unhygienic or had been used on a trillion people before me
- Jessica was more than happy to listen to and address my concerns and problems with my brows (including what I liked and didn’t) before making any decisions. I was also asked after each step what I thought and whether I was happy with the results
- I was only recommended one product at a time- we played with 10 or so products and it can be pretty overwhelming, so I loved that the recommendations were made for me. Even with a traditional brow experience, I imagine the brow product is picked to be the best one for you- not just whatever is the most expensive or the choice for someone who has no idea
Interested in pre wedding beauty services? Jessica advises the following treatments 2-3 days before your wedding (making sure to book any waxing on a separate day to your spray tanning).
I’d advise having the following services done 2-3 days prior to the big day:
– Brow tint with arch wax ($27.00)
– Any facial waxing needed (Lip wax $15.00)
– Full Body Wax (Bikini, Brazilian, Leg, Arm, Underarm available)
– Benefit Spray Tan ($40 full body)
For wedding days, Benefit offers:
– Pretty Me Please Full Make-up Application ($50.00, redeemable on products)
– Lash Lovelies Application ($18.00, application is free)
Here’s Jessica’s top tricks and tips for wedding day makeup
- Start by using long wear products for your make-up application. Two must haves are Stay Flawless 15 Hour Primer and Stay Don’t Stray Eyeshadow Primer. By using these two products as a base, your foundation will wear more evenly and look flawless for longer. Your eyeshadow will not crease or wear off during your big day.
- Layer your blush and lipstick! Try applying a lip and cheek stain such as Benetint, Cha Cha Tint or Posie Tint under you powder blush and on the lips. Your blush will have more intense colour and lasting power. Tint on your lips means it won’t kiss off for that magic moment!
- Go waterproof. Use Bad Gal Waterproof Eyeliner and mascara so that any tears of happiness don’t ruin or smudge your make-up.
- Stay hydrated! If you are prone to dry or flaky skin, spritz Ultra Radiance Facial Rehydrating Mist on your skin throughout the day. This will keep your skin looking fresh and bright.
- Assign a bridesmaid as make-up artist for the day. One of your bridesmaids should carry a small purse containing your most necessary touch up products: Hello Flawless Pressed Powder, sponge for absorbing oil on the face, a POREfessional pore minimiser, your chosen blush and lip colour for the day, cotton tips and tissues.
I was invited to experience the Benefit Brow Bar for a complimentary brow experience in accordance with our disclosure policy.
Professional photos via Benefit, all other photos via Polka Dot Bride.
Join the conversation