If you are looking for an overseas destination to celebrate your honeymoon be sure to consider New York – a stylish and sophisticated metropolis that offers an appealing blend of sightseeing, shopping and live theatre. This distinguished state in America also lays claim to a well-recognised cultural presence, which includes some of the finest museums, art galleries and designer fashion houses in the world.
New York is an exciting and energy packed city, and is home to some of the most renowned landmarks and attractions in America. The city is made up of five boroughs or districts – Manhattan, Staten Island, Brooklyn, Queens and The Bronx, all of these regions are linked by bridges, tunnels and ferries, and a comprehensive public transport system ensures seamless travel to all areas. New York City is filled with art, architecture and history and also offers some of the best shopping in the world. The most popular tourist attractions are all centrally located in Manhattan; these popular sights provide tourists with a diverse selection of landmarks and tourist hot spots in very close proximity to the central region.
New York’s top attractions
• Times Square – the hub of New York City, filled with shopping, live theatre, street dancing and where most of the tourist population converge to enjoy the bright lights of the big city.
• Central Park – New York’s ‘back yard’ spans approximately 843 acres and consists of scenic hills, lakes, meadows, trees and shrubs. Also home to a zoo, Central Park is the ideal playground for locals and tourists to enjoy, and a great place to jog, walk or enjoy a picnic.
• The Empire State Building – the tallest and most famous skyscraper in New York, it is an elegant example of art deco architecture and has been featured in movies such as ‘King Kong’ and ‘Sleepless in Seattle’. Travel up to the observatory level on the 102nd floor and view the city from its highest peak.
• The Statue of Liberty – the symbol of freedom for millions of American citizens. This graceful lady was a gift from France to America in 1876. Visit the base of the statue, or take a ferry trip and circle the statue seaside.
• Metropolitan Museum of Art – one of the world’s great art museums with a collection that spans 5000 years of culture from all continents.
• Broadway – lavish theatres and restaurants adorn the region of the theatre district home to live performances, music and dance.
• St Patricks Cathedral – is America’s largest Catholic cathedral and a gothic representation of 1878 architecture.
• The weather in New York can vary from day to day, but a guide to the seasons can certainly help you plan your wardrobe.
• Spring in New York typically brings light wind and rain, with temperatures ranging from cool to very warm.
• Summer is known for bright, sunny, hot days.
• Autumn is cool and crisp.
• Winter is cold and generally snowy with temperatures often plunging below zero.
• Generally the city is warm and sunny from May to October with lower temperatures and snow in winter months.
Shopping in New York
The city of New York offers fashionistas a tempting array of designer shops and department stores to indulge in. Boasting some of the world’s premium boutiques, the shopping precinct of New York is an alluring attraction for all shopaholics.
Shopping hot spots
• Fifth Avenue – home to the most desirable premium brands such as Louis Vuitton; Tiffany & Co.; Gucci , Cartier and headquarters to Harry Winston, the sought after jeweller to the stars. This well known high-end shopping location will also surprise you with brands such as Nine West, Hugo Boss and Tommy Hilfiger in the mix.
• Macy’s – marvel in the magic of this American department store chain – Macy’s, with 10 floors of shopping experience, Macy’s is the largest department store in New York.
• Bloomingdales – located on Lexington Avenue between 59th and 60th street and is a favourite shopping destination for visitors.
• Saks on Fifth Avenue – offers shoppers premium end brands and a selection of imported merchandise.
• Soho – famous for an eclectic mix of fashion, art and furniture, Soho is the newest shopping precinct in town.
• Woodbury Common – situated approx 55 minutes from downtown Manhattan, the premium outlet shopping location offers avid shoppers the opportunity to grab a bargain with labels such as Calvin Klein, Dolce and Gabbana, Versace and Coach just to name a few. Over 220 specialty stores are at your doorstop, which will make the near hour bus trip well worth the wait.
Where to eat
New York is represented by a myriad of ethnic groups and nationalities, and all of them have bought their culinary
skills from around the world. Cultural favourites such as pizza and pasta are renowned in the big apple, and Italian
cuisine is popular, particularly in ‘Little Italy’. Recently a new wave of modern cuisine has arrived on the scene and
one thing’s for sure – whatever food your palette desires you will be confident to find it in New York City.
Some favourites to enjoy
• Angelo’s Pizza – the most famous Pizzeria in New York City, located in 8th Avenue next to the famous David Letterman television studio.
• Matt’s Grill – try the best burgers and steaks in town, accompanied by loads of fries, typical American cuisine.
• Avoce Restaurant – a new kid on the block, modern Italian cuisine located in the Times Warner building at Columbus Square.
• Momofuku Ssäm Bar – Asian influenced modern cuisine located on Second Avenue at 13th Street.
• Grays Papaya – if you are looking for the best hot dog in town you can’t go past this eatery that started out as a simple juice bar until their hot dogs made headlines around the city as the greatest around.
• Scarpetta – located on 14th Street between 8th and 9th exceptional new vogue Italian cuisine, opened by a hot new chef on the food scene.
If you want to really see New York, consider purchasing a bus tour package which is a great way to see the sights and also be entertained by the local tourist operators who will add a bit of flavour with their commentary, revealing stories on stars, gossip and landmarks. One of the main benefits of a bus tour is that many offer a ‘hop on hop off’ ticket which lasts for several days and is a great way to depart the tour at certain areas that interest you, and then rejoin the bus tour later. ‘City Sights New York’ offers a great selection of tours which include a boat ride that takes you around The Statue of Liberty. The tour operators man various streets enabling you to purchase tickets easily.
Where to Stay
There is so much accommodation available in New York, from large hotels and apartments to boutique style lodges. All accommodation located in the central area of New York City is situated close to most attractions, the main shopping precinct, and popular restaurants. New York is easily accessible by subway, bus or by simply walking. Visit the websites below for accommodation options. New York is a buzz of excitement, and planning your trip is half the fun. With so much to do, you will be completely enthralled and whether you have a day or a month, the American city of New York will captivate you. New York will be an experience you won’t easily forget, and will keep you coming back for more.
Photography by Calli B Photography
Words by Terrianne Burns
Ms Gingham says: No matter how many times you see these iconic images of this city they are still awe inspiring. One of the top contenders for honeymoon locations surely.
About Calli: Calli moved from Brisbane to the Sunshine Coast and operated a home based photography business for a few years before moving into the boutique Maroochydore studio in 2008. Calli’s style of photography could be described as natural, candid and romantic. Calli has a beautiful daughter who she loves to spend her spare time with. Calli is a member of the Australian Institute of Professional Photography (AIPP).
Read more by Calli here.