Living in The Southern Highlands is a great privilege. Merely an hour and half from Sydney’s bustling city, we are blessed with some of the most breathtaking scenery in New South Wales. Although at Way Up High have only just made the move here, we have fallen in love with the place. There is something so great about living the country life – but knowing all the while that the city, and all of its delights, is just a quick trip up the motorway!
Here are five fabulous reasons why you should consider The Southern Highlands for your wedding;
1. It’s close, baby! Planning a destination wedding from afar can be a bit tricky, most people having to rely on email and Skype to get the job done. With The Southern Highlands situated half way between Sydney and Canberra, it is easy to make a day trip to visit vendors, do site inspections and sort out all of the other little bits and pieces that go towards your fabulous day! As well as this, your guests can choose to travel home after the formalities on the day or stay and make a weekend of it!
2. The Seasons. Like turning the dial on an old TV, the seasons here seem to switch suddenly, and the beauty of the new season is all around you. As we moved through Autumn, the leaves on the trees turned and the colours were amazing. Reds, oranges, yellows and even purples grace every street and every garden. Through winter, I won’t lie, it is cold (by Australian standards anyway!) …but there is a magical look to the light in the afternoon as the mist rolls in, and the open fireplaces keep you toasty warm, adding a sense of romance to your day. Spring arrives in a burst of colour as the trees come back to vivid green and the flowing bulbs erupt all over the place. Summer brings longer days and mild temperatures- perfect for a wedding day.
3. The Produce. Locally produced wines, ciders, meats, vegetables…you name it! There is a strong paddock to plate culture developing in the Highlands, as it is a region that is abundant in natural water and good soil. Many of our local venues and caterers work with our local suppliers to create a menu revolving around our fabulous produce. This benefits the region, the environment and of course the customer.
4. The Venues. Talk about choice!! There are some amazing venues in The Southern Highlands, all of which offer something different. Modern, stylish, classic, foodie, rustic, garden, boho, whatever the style of your wedding, there is a venue to suit!! The Southern Highlands also have lots of beautiful holiday homes available, some of which cater for weddings. The historic houses and gardens throughout the area make it a pretty special place to visit, or to get married!
Image by Michelle Fiona Photography via David and Emily’s Gorgeous Barn Wedding
5. Great Local Talent. Believe it or not- there is a vast number of super talented folk right here in The Southern Highlands, to take care of everything you may need for your day. From photographers to film makers (ahem-that would be us!!!) to stylists, florists, cake makers and caterers. Local (no travel fees), professional, personable and above all, lovers of weddings!!
So, there you have it; five awesome reasons to get married in our backyard (not literally though, it’s a bit small!)
Ms Chinoiserie Says: The Southern Highlands, with its beautiful scenery and amazing venues, sounds like the perfect choice for an “out of town” wedding! I love the rich Autumn colours..
About Way Up High: Hi, we’re Kara and Brad from Way Up High! We love weddings – and we love The Southern Highlands too! Our filming style is handcrafted to each and every wedding we shoot. Our inquisitive, cinematic approach helps us enhance the fun, emotion and beauty of your special day.