Have you hired a makeup artist for your wedding but worried about the makeup lasting the distance? There are some really important things your makeup artist can do to make your makeup sweat, shine and hug proof for the big day.
1. Clean, hydrated skin. It’s a myth that we need to have dry skin to make our makeup last or that if we moisturise it will slide off. If you apply makeup to dry, un-moisturised skin, chances are your base will come off sooner and look uneven. The makeup or primer needs something to cling to! (Tip: if you’ve had your hair done before makeup, make sure your artist removes any residue hairspray from you face before applying any product).
2. Primer. A primer isn’t just there to make you makeup look fresh, it’s also one sure way to keep your makeup on longer. Often primers double as mattifiers and pore minimisers so you can eliminate shine whilst giving your makeup a great surface to sit on. (Tip: primer needs to settle before makeup is applied so wait a few minutes before makeup application).
3. Foundation that works for your skin type. Your makeup artist should assess your skin type before doing anything else. Foundations are not all created equal and some are built to last longer than others (Tip: to create a longer lasting base, spray your foundation brush or sponge with a setting spray before applying).
4. Eye Primers or Cream Eye shadows. Wedding makeup is expected to last up to 15 hours. My one weapon against creased eye shadow is a primer made for the eyes or a long lasting cream eye shadow. The primers create a crease-free surface for your shadow to sit on and should make your eye makeup bullet proof. (Tip: eye primers need an oil based eye makeup remover to remove as they are built to stay).
5. Powder. You don’t need bucket loads of powder to make your makeup last, but you do need the right kind. Powders that are made to absorb oil and are colour free are fantastic for weddings. Too much pressed powder can result in a cakey look so go easy (Tip: if you’re having flash photography, let your makeup artist know. They can then avoid powders with Silica and Sunscreen which cause white flashback).
6. Lips. If a bold lip is what you’re going for, then your makeup artist should use a long lasting or liquid lipstick. These tend to be matte and stay on for longer. A stain under gloss can also help it to last and high shine over nude lips will always give you more lip time. (Tip: Do carry a gloss and lipstick with you for touch-ups. Lips are the one thing that always need touching up).
7. Setting spray. Before your makeup artist leaves and after touch ups, a setting spray applied is insurance that your makeup will still look flawless even at the end of the night (Tip: hairspray is not a setting spray!)
8. Look after it. Once your makeup artist is gone, make sure you maintain it. If it’s a hot day and you’re sweating, use a tissue to blot down. If you are a crier, use a folded tissue or handkerchief and catch the tears before they hit your face. (Tip: Allocate a bridesmaid to be on makeup duty and have them remind you to touch up lips or de-shine throughout the day).
With these tips, I can almost guarantee that you’ll have a makeup that lasts the day and long into the night. I’m often asked why brides should hire a makeup artist and my answer is always the same; for their ability to create flawless, long lasting, beautiful makeup.
Ms Gingham says: I love lip stains because it means you can use less lipstick and still maintain a fabulous colour. These tips are awesome! Thanks Nico!
About Nico Harry: After finishing a teaching degree, Nico realised she had a passion for makeup. Following her dream she packed her bags and headed to Los Angeles to learn the industry tricks and build her portfolio. She’s since honed her skills in all areas of makeup including television (Australia’s Next Top Model), Runway (Australian Fashion Week), Magazines (NW, TV Week, Real Weddings) and Celebrity (Susie Porter, Caroline Craig, Holly Brisley, Ada Nicodemou, Don Hany, Guy Sebastian, Jerry O’Connell, Noah Taylor, Shannon Noll, Jamie Durie, and more). After having two beautiful kids, Nico now focuses on her bridal clients.