Image: Georgia Verrells
Byron Bay – what a beautiful spot for a wedding! Ideal weather conditions, foodies heaven, breathtaking coastlines and an overall beachy feel – what more could you want?
One of the most significant parts of your wedding day will be the opportunity to share some beautiful food with your family and friends. Whether you have a boho casual style wedding or a formal sit down affair – the food options are endless!
Image: Georgia Verrells
Tartare of salmon, avocado & black sesame with crispy wonton & Japanese mayonnaise
Makes 24 canapés
- 150 grams sashimi grade salmon, very finely diced – make sure the salmon is the freshest you can get your hands on
- ½ avocado, very finely diced
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1.5 tablespoons of black sesame seeds
- 6 fresh wonton wrappers, cut into 4 squares
- ½ cup of peanut or vegetable oil
- ¼ cup Japanese mayonnaise
- Lemon juice
- Shiso leaves, micro herb bunch
1. Lightly toast the sesame seeds for 3-4 minutes.
2. Cut the wonton wrapper into quarters so you end up with 24 square pieces. Heat the oil until hot enough and fry off the wontons for 1-2 minutes each or until golden. Drain on paper towel.
3. Thinly dice the salmon into very small pieces. Lightly coat in the sesame oil and then the black sesame seeds. Add the diced avocado and very gentle combine. Right before serving add the lemon juice and gentle toss to combine.
Top each square wonton with a small handful of the salmon mix, sprinkle with black sesame seeds and top with a couple of shiso leaves for flavour and garnish.
Note: you can make them gluten-free by serving the salmon mix on a spoon instead of the fried wonton.
This recipe is simple, easy to prepare and a real show stopper, it will be sure to impress your guests!
About Two Pounds Catering & Events: Two Pounds love catering for all types of events – private & corporate, big & small. What started in a tiny kitchen in a Prahran apartment has now evolved and seen us take on our second space in Armadale. Every event we take on, especially weddings, are really important to us and we feel extremely lucky to be taken on the journey with our clients. Food, hospitality staff, beverages, hire items and event planning/management are the areas we can look after for our clients to ensure we make the process as stress free as possible for them.