I made these cut-out paper leaves to decorate some potted branches for my brother’s Autumn engagement party. I was setting it up before the party when my sister-in-law-to-be suggested that guests could write messages on them. What a great way to make your decor functional!
You will need:
- Potted tree or branches
- Coloured cardstock (use two or three colours for best effect)
- Cardboard (from a cereal box is fine)
- Small hole punch
1. Draw three different sized paisley shape (or a more traditional leaf shape if you prefer) onto the cardboard. Cut out.
2. Using the cardboard template, draw as many shapes as you can on each sheet of cardstock and cut out.
3. Punch a small hole and tie a loop with thread.
This is great if you’re looking for a guest book alternative that doubles as decor for your wedding or engagement party.
It’s a really versatile project: just tweak the pots, paper colour and shapes to suit the season and style you’re after. Place one on a table at your wedding entrance and you could even use it as an escort card display.
Photography by Alicia Parsons (The Atypical Type A)
Ms Gingham says: And also good for hen’s parties … just keep the shapes tasteful please!!
I am Alicia Parsons, the Atypical Type A. I live in Adelaide, South Australia in a modest townhouse with my new hubby Ryan (aka The Man). I am the owner and graphic designer behind Akimbo, which specialises in quirky invitations, announcements and greetings.
Check our more of Alicia’s inspired ideas here.
Join the conversation